Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Art of giving compliments

People say flattery/compliments takes you nowhere, but it does. (ofcourse there is a thin line between flattery and compliments).Compliments is putting across something that the other person doesnot know or know about himself/herself. Flattery is more of insincere praise.
Whenever possible try to observe good qualities in others and compliment them.
Here are some DO's and DON'Ts when it comes to giving a compliment.

@work place
- when ever possible DO give sincere compliments.
- give compliments at right situations and right time(say ur junior seems to lack some confidence, give him a compliment. This gives him boost )
- Do give when some one really has to be, for his work.

to ur girl friend
- surprise ur girl friend with warm compliments.(women do look for them most of time).
- tell her she's lost weight (even if she hasn't, this thrills her,u wud c her eyes widen and smile.)

to ur parents
- if u r living far off keep telling them once in a while how much u miss them.
- tell ur mom how u miss food she used to make for u.
- tell ur parents how much u owe them for what ur today.

DON'T do this

- Don't Compliment every now and then. If u compliment all the time u loose ur value.
- Don't give the same compliments to everyone, there is always something unique for every individual, identify that.

When I was in school in the activity class, our madam used to make us sit in groups and asked us to give compliments to each other, she said to say something good that u observed in the other person. When it was my chance to say, all that was in my mind was what should I be saying, coz never at that age really understood what she meant. Now I realize what it is.
I had given a sincere compliment to a dear friend of mine saying u looked gr8 today, and this friend of mine said "if u have some work tell me, no need to say that",....hmmm guess wht wud my reaction be..........
This made me think and write this post today. I haven't yet mastered the skill of giving compliments yet and realized that it sounded more like flattery. Hmmm,...go to improve more on this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey prathyu,

Before even saying something abt the post let me manke one thing clear. I am not writing this comment because u asked em to. I wanted to comment but either found no time or was unable to do so thanks to the weak internet signal i get in my room.

Cool post.it was rather "enlightening" i shud say. One suggestion .. change the font back to the original, the one u used for the previous posts.

Now for the actual comment .. what else can one expect as a reply when any one compliments. I dont see anything wrong in what ur fren said when u complimented her..coz i wud have done the same thing had anyone complimented me. The reason being there are very few ppl now-a-days who compliment whole heartedly. So take taht in the stride of ur life and accept it..but don't stop complimenting ppl.

Ok now i will stop it here. I dont want my comment to be bigger than the post itself :P . Gud luck.

9:21 AM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger prathyu said...

hey nikhil, actullay missing those gr8 discussions with u, seriously, and thnx for puuting down the comment so clearly, and this was guy....waiting for ur post eagerly....n there was soemthing wrong with font, I posted this nearly like 10 times to get the original font in other post's but dunno wht the prob was, so gave up....

11:13 AM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger ravi shankar said...

hey..
this was a real informative one..though i don't have a girlfriend...i shall use this to some later effects...
I too agree on the fact tat sometimes compliments pep u up..
This was a real goodone..today i met a real good blogger..(this is a compliment...not flattery..)

12:49 PM, April 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home